Poems are expressions of how the writer sees the world around them. They’re rhymes and cadence, tongue-twists and lyrics. They can be haiku, stanzas, plays or songs. Poetry is so many inspiring and motivating things, that if you’re not using poetry to learn English as a second language, you’re not embracing the culture from English-speaking countries.
Poems are temporal – they describe the poet’s feelings and their environment in which they live, looking at the world through their own eyes. And one’s view of the world is influenced by the culture.
I love including poems into my ESL Classroom. They’re so FLEXIBLE! You can use poems with any other topic of discussion.
How can I use poetry to learn English
Whether you’re learning English by yourself or taking classes, it’s good to challenge yourself once in a while. There are countless ways to learn English through poetry. Any good TESOL teacher would already be employing many different ways to incorporate poetry into learning. Importantly, you want to feel comfortable when with poems. Remember, there really are no rules! Just try to have fun and enjoy the challenge of learning. Don’t be discouraged.
Try these suggestions yourself or with your ESL Teacher:
- Do poetry theater, having students act out short plays.
- Introduce children’s books. You’ll find rhymes and rhythms, the words often sound pleasing and sing-song when read aloud by parents and educators. This is a perfect approach for ESL Learners! Of course, you don’t want to insult adult learners with children’s books, but bringing these concepts into the classroom through the pondering of poetry is a wonderful way to promote language learning and literacy.
- Song clozes. These can be of any kind of music and with varying degrees of difficulty. A great cross lesson for learning slang.
- Write haiku style poems about the weather or class.
- Teach rhymes, riddles and tongue twisters and then have the students make their own.
- Write a poem together as a class on a topic you’re learning about. Include key vocabulary.