I’m so excited to have the opportunity of bringing together two of my interests, yoga and teaching, this September here in Seoul. I will be teaching children English Yoga at a studio not far from our villa in Hwagok-Dong. Actually, it’s my husband’s new Fitness Studio – very exciting!
So, here I am preparing lesson plans for these English Kids Yoga classes that will integrate functional English vocabulary, conversational English skills, relaxation, enjoyment, and a breath of light into world of yoga poses and philosophies.
I thought I would share some of the online resources I’ve come across in my preparations and research:
Prep & Lesson Planning for Teaching Kids Yoga:
- Teaching Yoga for Life by Nanette Tummers – includes sample lesson plans, breathing techniques and kid-friendly yoga poses.
- 8 Dirty Truths About Teaching Kids Yoga – love this one!
- Here’s a lesson plan from Breaking News English about the history of yoga.
- A great resource for yoga games/activities.
- Here are some good sequences for beginners. Remember, there are certain poses that children shouldn’t do because their bodies are still growing and changing. Seek an informative book for more details, but some examples of poses children shouldn’t do include head-stands, hero pose, and fish pose.
- Collection of 100 Blogs, Tutorials and Resources including some of my favourites.
- Yoga Kids – a book by Marsha Wenig that has a LOT of great activities, kid-friendly poses, and inspiring yoga talk.
General Yoga Resources I Refer to:
- Teaching Yoga by Mark Stephens
- Light on Life – B.K.S. Iyengar: Great for intricate knowledge into correct positioning and the yogic lifestyle (in other words, not eating a cookie while I write this^^).
- Yoga Journal : Nothing beats sitting down with a copy of this magazine and a pot of herbal tea!